Wednesday 12 December 2012

Tried and Tested Tip Number 21 [Clay Ornaments]



I recently came across this impressions in clay tutorial over on Garden Mama. Whilst I didn't follow the tutorial, I was inspired by it to create my own clay ornaments!


I used white air drying clay, and rolled it out between two layers of greaseproof paper, like you might with biscuit dough!


I experimented added different items between the greaseproof and the clay to create impressions - some were more successful than others! Here are the different items I tried:


 The only impression I really liked is the plant to the right of the stars - it was thick and dense, so gave a really deep impression. The other plants and the stars simply did not give a deep enough impression to look effective - not for this project, anyway! (And have you ever tried picking star confetti out of clay? Not fun!)


I cut the shapes out with biscuit/cookie cutters, and threaded some with string and some with ribbon.


This was a really fun project to do, with some effective results (some more so than others!) It would look great with different coloured Sculpey/Fimo too.


Why not have a look at the other crafts in my Christmas category...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully beautiful......I made salt dough ones with a 2 year old, fun but the results are not nearly as beautiful !
    What clay do you use ? air dry ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Ooh, I used to love playing with salt dough when I was younger. I just used white air dry clay for these - craft shops like Hobbycraft will sell it, and I have seen some in the Works before now, too.
      Helen x

      Delete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...