Saturday 28 July 2012

Inspire: Maisie Broadhead's Historical Photograph

This is Colossal recently featured a time-lapse video made my Maisie Broadhead. Now, I don't normally watch videos, they struggle to hold my attention. But I was intrigued, and I have to say it was one of the most amazing videos I have ever seen. Why did I not think of this concept?!

First, click here to watch the video, then I'll talk about it...

As part of an exhibition, Maisie Broadhead and Jack Cole directed a video to be hung next to this 1844 photographic print by Hill and Adamson that it references:


The video is a time lapse of a studio being set up to recreate the photograph... But not using Photoshop for after affects, but literally creating a sepia toned photograph before your eyes!


It is truly amazing, and I think it helps to open one's eyes to the possibilities around us. I especially love the fabric used behind the glass to age the "photograph", as well as the building up of the background, makeup, clothes etc! There is also such a contrast between the "modern day" people/cloting/environment and what they are creating.

It reminds me of the idea of taking one's grandparent's holiday photos, and travelling around in their footsteps recreating scenes. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...