Friday 21 September 2012

My First Linocut


You may have to excuse my sheer level of excitement when it comes to this... When I was printing with my Dad the other month, he lent me the equipment to try lino cutting. And the other day? I eventually got round to trying it!


My inspiration was this sketch of a yellow poppy that I did last year:


I found the tools somewhat easy to use with the lino, although there are a few cuts which aren't quite meant to be there!


Because I've never tried this before, I did a test run with some acrylic paint I had out, to see if I had cut the lines deep and wide enough to show up...


It's obviously not great, but it showed what I needed to know - that it could work!

So I took it to my Dad's press (I think it's the proofing press we used) and we got this amazing print!


I can't wait to go back and experiment more, I'm hoping to do a whole run of greetings cards :)

The lino cut itself also looks quite pretty!


I'm really not sure what my next design will be, but one thing I do know: I love this process!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Helen no wonder you are excited - your poppy print is amazing! Love the simple lines and shape - based on the solid foundation of your great sketch. The colour is so vibrant and the lino cut does look good in faded blue too! Greetings cards are a cool idea...looking forward to your next lino design!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali! I've just been organising some more photos of the prints I did that day, and hope to get them posted on here this week :)
      Thank you for such positive feedback, I'm glad others like the design hehe.
      Helen x

      Delete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...