Saturday 3 March 2012

Liverpool Doors - Roger McGough

It's been too long since I've made it out to any art exhibitions. Today we finished my Birthday celebrations off (and celebrated our double anniversary) with a trip to Liverpool Doors in the Museum of Liverpool. The museum only opened late last year, and this was my first chance to get inside! The interior is lovely and just feels welcoming, fresh and modern - we both can't wait to go back and have a proper look around.

"The doors in the exhibition were donated to Roger and book artist Mark Cockram following a public appeal. They were then transformed by students from Liverpool John Moores University's School of Art and Design, who used the doors as canvasses for extracts from Roger's poems. Supported by Roger and Mark throughout the artistic process, the students have used creative designs for the words themselves as well as imagery and objects to illustrate the poems, such as model cars, football socks and photographs."


I really enjoyed looking around. I have a bit of a fascination with doors anyway, after focussing on them for an A level art project, "Abstract Elements of the Urban Landscape". Seeing them interspersed with Roger McGough's humour was just wonderful.


I can't believe I've never thought to make a guitar on a door - a great alternative to a doorbell.

Were these meant to be part of it?


This one really inspired me - I never want to be that.



I'm not sure how long the exhibition is on for, but if you're in the area do pop in and have a look - the snippets of humour will bring a smile to your face. Entry to all Liverpool museums is free, and there is even pre-bookable disabled parking :)

With thanks to the Museum of Liverpool for allowing people to take photos and share the art <3

2 comments:

  1. How FAB! I love Roger McGough...so great to see his poetic words so artistically portrayed on door canvasses! What a treat!
    I had the same thought as you about those fire/loo doors when I saw your photo!
    Thanks for such an amazing door-post..! Its inspired me to wander through and open some poetry books!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was brought up round his work but I've never truly appreciated poetry just printed on pages of books - this really brought it to life.
      Helen x

      Delete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...