Thursday 26 January 2012

Tried and Tested Tip Number 1! [Crochet]

Hello!

As you might have heard on Facebook, or noticed by the new image in the sidebar here, I'm introducing a new, fortnightly feature to this blog - Tried and Tested Tips!


Each fortnight (hopefully!) I'll be sharing with you a creative tip I've picked up along the way - it might help you organise your stash, progress in crochet, or just fire up that creative spark.


First up, how do you mark stitches, or the beginnings of rounds, in crochet? I know a lot of people talk about a short length of thread, or a safety pin. Me? I use a kirby grip (aka a bobby pin).

Sorry I can't tell you what project this is just yet, it's a surprise I'm working on! Possibly the most complex crochet I've done, interchanging 4 colours!

I discovered it quite by accident! I never used to mark rounds, and would simply count stitches constantly. Then I worked on a bigger project, and I kept getting interrupted - not good! I looked around for something I could use, something I could just slip on and off a stitch - no hassle. And there it was, just lying on the table in front of me... (And now kept with all my pins and needles!)


Really, if you're looking for a quick and easy way to mark stitches, this has GOT to be it. (And even better for me, I often have a spare one in my hair for those crochet emergencies!)




Have you got a Tip (or even a simple tutorial) you'd like me to feature? Drop me an email (link in my profile), and if I try it, test it, and decide to feature it, you will receive a 20% discount off your next order (excl. P&P) from my shop! Go on, what have you got to lose?

4 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea Helen! I'm new to chrocheting and struggling to get grips with it, and knowing where each round begins and ends is a nightmare- I will definetely be using this tip! Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited...I was following a new pattern - and for me as a new crochet person it's a long one. It mentioned a lockable stitch marker and I immediately thought of this tip!
    Thanks Helen...if I hadn't read this I think I would've fallen at that hurdle!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it helped you Ali! I'm looking forward to seeing what you're creating...!
      Helen x

      Delete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...