Sunday 25 November 2012

The Younger Years IX

[felt snowman finger puppet, I should probably clarify the brown is a broom!]

I think Christmas has to start early when you're creative. I remember as a child I would start making my Christmas cards in August, giving myself time to hand draw and colour in cards for every member of my family (no mean feat, let me tell you!) Even nowadays I try to think about it early to give myself time to work out my design, materials, and to allow for my fluctuating health. I have planned the decorations I hope to make this year, and as such I find it really interesting to look back on what I was making as a child. One thing never changes - my love of felt! It is so easy to work with, doesn't fray, and can be glued or stitched. I love hand stitching, mixed media... I love creating, and I love it even more when I don't have to follow any rules! Making Christmas decorations for my family? Such beautiful creative freedom, hopefully making decorations we can treasure for many years to come. And yes, I do still have almost everything I made as a child, even if they don't quite all make it out of the box nowadays!

What about you? Are there decorations you made many years ago that still come out at Christmas? Or nowadays is it all about your own children's creations? I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...